[C320-list] Cleaning engine cover

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 05:48:02 PDT 2007

When I did our SPM project, I used Interlux 202 fiberglass wash.  I'm told it's like nail polish remover without the oils and other stuff.  I believe it's intended for removing mold release on new hulls and wiping the bottom after sanding before painting.  It is great for cleaning the vinyl cover on lifelines and the like.  It's not as strong or as volatile as acetone or MEK.

It should remove any surface oil and grime from the inside of the engine cover.  It will soften whatever is on the surface of the cover so only use enough to remove the dirt and oil, then let it dry before applying the SPM which adheres very well.  After applying the SPM, I placed the cover on the floor/ground and stood on the SPM panels for a minute or two to set the adhesive and insure all air removed.  The leftover SPM pieces I applied to the inside of the engine compartment, port side.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay