[C320-list] Best way from NJ to NH

Russ Monaco russgm at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 07:05:04 PDT 2007

>From Barnaget I would head North up the NJ shore(could stop at Sandy Hook) into NYC harbor(behind Liberty Island/Ellis Island is a good marina), into East River thru Hell's Gate out into the LI Sound and head east (Once in Sound literally too many harbors to name, basically where ever you are pull to the left or right and you are in one), then thru the Race, passing Newport, & Pt Judith, and then you could hit Cutty Hunk(I think), adjust course north thru Buzzard's Bay, up thru the Cape Cod Canal and into the Mass. Bay (and now you are beyond what I know so someone else will have to advise beyond here).

Timing is CRITICAL for this voyage, maintaining a certain speed is as well.  The tides can be timed in such a way as to suck you up from NY Harbor, push you along the East River/Hell's Gate(my C387 may have hit 12kts over ground in Hell's Gate!) and shoot you out in the LI Sound as it is emptying toward the Race.  You will not be able to keep up with the flow of the tide once in the Sound, but it would then give you a chance to regroup for a bit, and time your exit and then entrance into Buzzards Bay.  I could scan and send you guide sheets on how to time this off line.  Are you familair with Eldrige's Tide and Pilot book?  If you are doing this everything you need about time/tide is in there.

Your alternative is to head out east and north from Barnegat toward Montauk and Block Island, this is open water and would allow no place for breaks for about 150 miles.  It may be a good test of your mettle as to whether you want to become a Blue Water guy one day, for me there is no choice I would take the totally protected Hudson River/East River/LI Sound route.  Feel free to contact me off line for specifics and when you start planning I could point out marinas in the areas you figure to stop in.  BTW although I've never been through there Barnegat Inlet is notorious for shoaling!
Russ Monaco