[C320-list] loose rudder post & bent shaft

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 05:25:44 PDT 2007

In my opinion since you appear to have a fairly minor bend in the rudder
shaft, you have two easy options that I would try before cutting and
sleeving the shaft or replacing the rudder.

First, I'd try the come-along again. Note that three days or three minutes
are the same to steel, it won't develop a 'set' by holding it there for any
period of time. You have to bend it past the point you want because there
will always be a certain amount of spring back. You probably need to open up
the gap at aft end about an inch before releasing the come-along in order to
end up with enough clearance. You will just have to experiment and go slow.

The second option is to drop the rudder, grind a half inch off of the top at
the back and re-glass it. I doubt the altered geometry will affect handling
significantly.

--
Chris Burti
Farmville, NC