[C320-list] Outhaul

Irv Grunes igrunes at comcast.net
Thu Aug 2 18:37:08 PDT 2007

All

Just back from a 4 day cruise on Isle of Wight which included a visit to
Annapolis.

Spoke to the Charleston Spar distributor there re the fixed block in the
boom.

Yes, there is a fixed block on the boom that is used in conjunction with the
single block with beckett for the outhaul.

Maintenance on that fixed block, IF ever needed, requires removing the boom
and then the end piece from the boom to access it.

SO if one has any thoughts of reeving a different line through that block
should do it very carefully.

Went through the #851 manual supplied with the boat and the only reference
to an outhaul was a picture of an outhaul line on the same plate still
showing the jiffy-reefing system with the double sheave block that Catalina,
and I think most of the C320 owners, have done away with.

Catalina supplies an outhaul line, but gives no dimension or length, at
least in the #851 manual and the two manuals that are on the C320 website.

The line supplied with the fixed block in the boom of #851 is 3/8 and very
stiff.  We are thinking of replacing it.

Has any one on the list done so??  I mean re -reeving the outhaul line
through the fixed block and using the floating single block with beckett to
get the 3:1 mechanical advantage it supplies.
Would like to know which line you used.

I know several have mentioned doing away with the fixed/moving interior
blocks altogether.

Irv Grunes
Isle of Wight #851