[C320-list] Outhaul

Irv Grunes igrunes at comcast.net
Thu Aug 2 19:12:35 PDT 2007

Robert,
Just back from three days on the boat that included a trip to Annapolis, MD.
We keep our boat on Sue Creek off Middle River. Thats the next River north
of Baltimore on the Chesapeake.  Annapolis is about 26 km and with fickle
winds took us about 8  hours, but we were playing sailing purists and did
not want to use the engine for anything other than taking the sails down and
getting into a slip.

Its still our summer here and so we still have a long day.

Just looked up your North Haven to St Vincent and/or Stansbury. 30 to 40 nm
is a good days sail.  Do you have traditionally steady winds in the Gulf of
St Vincent that lets you make that trip on a regular basis.  A good South or
North wind would make that a pleasant trip.

We used to choose a destination for every trip and motored if there was no
wind to take us there.  Now we go where the wind will take us and unless we
can sail all the way, we just daysail on Middle River and the Bay and come
back into the slip.
Our use of the boat is sailing to what city or restaurant to have a nice
dinner.  We are not the spend time on the hook people.

Thanks for the info, and fair winds.

Irv Grunes
Isle of Wight #851