[C320-list] Asymmetric Spinnaker

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Fri Aug 10 07:35:07 PDT 2007

What I did was to first learn how to spell the sail, then talked to a few sailmakers on my needs including where I would sail.  I ended up with UK Sails here in Chicago and  bought their Flasher asymmetirc with the ATN Tacker and UK's Stasher sock.  You pick the grade of nylon you want and they let you go wild on the color scheme which you can create online.  The have all the dimensions for the 320 and I gave them a copy of the sail dimensions from my owner's manual for comparison.  Their data base was spot on.

With the cut of my asymmetric you can sail up to 150-160 degrees apparent in most winds and in anything less than about 11 knots you can sail up to 60 from apparent before excess healing starts.   The UK instructional CD that came with the sail says when sailing at 150-160 apparent, jibing when needed is the fastest course down wind which is what I have experienced.

Bob Sloat
Savannah