[C320-list] Outhaul line jammed inside boom

Quentin Murphy qmurphy at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 20 11:27:25 PDT 2007

Last Friday while sailing in winds 30 to 40 Kts, my outhaul came loose and
when I pulled on the line to tighten it, a lot of line came my way, without
the mainsail flattening out.  Given the wind strength, I decided to dump the
sail.  Now this line (and most likely the shackle) is stuck (pretty hard)
somewhere inside the boom.  I was thinking of using one or more wire coat
hangers to attempt to fish this thing back out the end of the boom.  I'm
wondering if anyone else on the list has faced this problem and if so, are
there any "Do's" or "Don'ts" when I tackle this project.   I do not have a
spare pull-string inside the boom.

Also if I have to remove the end piece of the boom by drilling out the
rivets, are there special rivets I must use to reinstall this end piece?

Quentin Murphy
Celtic Knot #667