[C320-list] problem with cockpit locker

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Fri Aug 31 14:20:41 PDT 2007

Ever since I purchased Surprise from the PO I've been annoyed by the
fact that the piano hinge for the large cockpit locker was not installed
properly by the factory.  It's not mounted straight and takes a bit of a
dive into the crack at one end.  Predictably this has eventually caused
a number of the sheet metal screws that hold the hinges to the
fiberglass to pull out, especially near the ends, and the holes are
enlarged.  This strikes me as one of the few really shoddy construction
details on my boat.  The design of the hatch, which puts a lot of stress
on this hinge when the hatch is open, has always struck me as
problematical given the flimsy support.  But installing this well must
be a challenge and I'm at a bit of a loss thinking about how to approach
a repair.  Any thoughts?

Scott Thompson