[C320-list] interior lighting system--Hull #74

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 1 11:09:38 PDT 2007

I've been experimenting with LED lights to replace the originals on our hull #62.  Well, at least part of the fixture.  I removed the festoon bulb and diffuser cover.

I've modified an internal battery LED light, the RiteLite (at Amazon) to replace the original.    I did this by replacing the batteries with two dowels: one to make a positive connection and one to make a negative connection.  The dowels are the same size as an AAA battery with a screw in the end as the contact.  On one of the dowels, I attached a resistor to limit the power to the LED's.  From each dowel a wire goes to the old fixture and attaches to the festoon bulb holder.  I drilled the edge of the RiteLite and used the screw holes on the original fixture.  Polarity does matter with LED's so be sure to get it right.  Easy to do with a volt meter.

I wouldn't say it's a pretty result as the LED fixtures are one color: dark gray.  But, they do swivel, switch on and off independently, and have two levels of light.  It is a very different light as it is a cool white light compared to the soft yellow light of the incandescent bulb.  It is more light and is suitable for reading if you aim the light directly on your book.  The LED's don't give much side light as the beam seems narrow.  And, of course, the main advantage is the low current draw.

If there is any interest, I'll take pictures and do a more detailed write-up for the website.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay