[C320-list] New Boat

marshall lucas teammt at atlanticbb.net
Sun Aug 12 15:14:12 PDT 2007

One of the slip holders at my dock just bought a 2004
Hunter 33.  He had been looking at Catalina, Hunter and
Beneteau boats.  He chose the Hunter as he got more
amenities than he could get on a Catalina at a lower
price.  What I found most interesting was his comment that
Catalina sailboats hold their value better than Hunter and
Beneteau.

My C320 is a 2005 purchased new and my dealer, Sail
Annapolis, could not have been easier to work with and
more fair in the price on my Catalina 28 trade and
commissioning costs on the new boat.

Marshall

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:57:07 -0400
  sailorlew at aol.com wrote:

> The one place that I think that Catalina lags behind
>Hunter, & Bennetau is the way they price their boats at
>the boat shows. Hunter & Bennetau have a price that
>includes freight, commissiong, & bottom paint. Catalina
>has a price that competes with the other builders, but
>then you have to add on these other items, whose prices
>are determined soley by the dealer, which means they can
>pump them up to anything they want. I priced a 320 at the
>Norwalk show last year where?the dealer did not include
>launching in the commissioning price. These add ons added
>about $30,000 to the price of the boat. I am not?saying
>that Catalina should be less expensive,?it's just as a
>consumer, I feel like this is a bait & switch. If the
>boat is $140,000, that's fine, but I'm left with a bad
>taste in my mouth when a boat show "special" of
>$110,000?turns out to be $140,000>
>
> Lew

Marshall & Daine Lucas
& The Merrythought Poodles