[C320-list] Asymetric tacker using "Parrell Beads"

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 16 09:51:42 PDT 2007

Irv, I couldn't find a picture; but, can describe what I did.  At a craft store I bought 1" round wood balls.  Larger is better as they roll with less resistance over the furled headsail.  I did not finish the balls in any way thinking I would not have the chute out in weather.  Next measure the distance around the furled headsail.  You want a loop large enough to not bind on the sail.  Bigger is better than smaller.  Drill the balls through the center of the grain larger than the wire size.  Then at a WM store that has a crimping workbench (not all do,) I used a thimble and crimped it on the wire.  Then strung the balls and put another thimble on the other end.  That's the bead set.

I used a carabiner through the thimbles to attach it to the head cringle on the sail.  Actually, I probably attached the carabiner to the shackle on the halyard: less stress on the cringle.

That's it.  I sold the beads with the sail 4 years ago.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay