[C320-list] Club Racing the C320

Dave Moores dmoores at cogeco.ca
Sun Aug 19 17:06:33 PDT 2007

Karl,

I can tell you that weight is really important.  I race white sail with four
crew, spinnaker with six.  Keeping all the paraphernalia off the boat truly
makes a difference.  The other huge factor is a clean bottom.  First of all
let's hope it is pretty smooth in the first place.  No Stipples/or
orange-peel effect!  Then if stuff tends to attach/grow on the bottom in
your area, a regular bottom wash also makes huge difference.  Water/holding
tanks not too full doesn't hurt either.  I never use the bow tank.  I have a
folding prop and would not for a moment consider racing with a fixed prop.
That of course I set in reverse as soon as the engine is cut prior to the
race to stop it windmilling.  If you are racing white sail, obviously a good
whisker pole is a must.

We win quite a few races this way against boats we ought not to be able to
beat.  Also the tuning guide on the 320 website is really helpful -
especially the bit about the longer forestay and low-stretch halyards.  Go
for it!  These boats are capable of going really well with a bit of help.

Hope this is useful.

Dave Moores,

 California Girl #342