[C320-list] Mast Cranes and Asymmetrics.

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sun Aug 26 16:41:37 PDT 2007

With the lazy sheet led forward of the tack line, how do you keep the
lazy sheet from falling into the water ahead of the boat and then
running over it?  Sport boats with sprits that do outside jibes often
attach a batten to the end of the sprit to support the lazy sheet to
prevent this.  But such boats sail hot apparent wind angles all of the
time.  With the 320 I find that every time I turn downwind the lazy
sheet falls off the front of the bow unless I keep a good bit of tension
on it, which then distorts the sail trim.

Also, in light air I've had the problem of the sheets dragging in the
water during an outside jibe because there isn't enough wind to fly the
clew way out in front of the boat.  This often leads to running over one
of the sheets.  Maybe I need lighter spin sheets.

Most of my asym experience is on sport boats that do inside jibes, and
so that's what I've generally done on the 320 as well.

Scott