[C320-list] How many years usage?

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Tue Dec 4 20:24:30 PST 2007

I know guys that are using Catalina sails that are over 15 years old, but if you are even starting to consider a new set of sails, JUST DO IT. You couldn't possibly regret that decision. Old sails will still move the boat, but new sails are much much more fun.

I put off retiring my sails until they were 8 years old. At that point they didn't look much the worse for wear; needed some re-stitching at the UV and adjustment for a shrinking bolt rope. Even so, new Doyle Dacron sails made an amazing difference. It isn't just that the boat is faster, it's also much more responsive to sail trim adjustments, it points better, and it heels less. OEM sails might not be totally worn out after 8 or 10 years, but even when new, they just aren't cut as good or made of materials that are anywhere near the quality of an average grade of sail from a decent loft.

When I buy my next boat, new or used, I'm convinced that I'll immediately buy a new set of sails for it. Catalina should partner with a loft and offer new boat buyers the option of purchasing higher grade sails at a fairly deep discount. Beneteau uses a medium-grade Neil-Pryde sail, Hunter offers Doyle sails as an option.

Sorry Gerry.

JeffC