[C320-list] Bimini and Dodger

Jane & Ken obuoy4848 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 5 10:43:24 PST 2007

Our approach to shade was to opt out of the factory  B&D and instead design our own which is 12 x10 feet and provides shade for the hot summer sun in Texas---One of my pet peeves is that some boats have "things" you cannot hold on to when you need to hold on---so I used one inch SS thick walled bars and mounted the super structure as far to the sides as possible.  The fore and aft are attached to the aft rails and the "hand rails" on the cabin top.  You can do chin-ups from the frame.  I also went with five support bows and did raise the boom 12 inches to provide headroom.  Our design allows us to have three different "shade" areas---The frame allows for the front portion and/or aft portion to be removed(actually just moved and rolled) to allow only the center portion to provide shade and/or front or back.  Dodger is not so important to us, but we have a slide track on the cabin top and zippers at the top for the three sections---this allows us to remove the center section
 for some vent when required.  Have had this arrangement for over 25 years(former and current boat) and it provides for maximum utilization during both summer and winter conditions.  We also have a shade curtain which is 12 feet long with snaps to attach to the edge of the bimini and the shade extends to the deck level.  The snaps extend all the way around the bimini so no matter what anchor position---we can provide shade, north, south, east or west.
  Good luck with your decision and remember it is easier to do it right in the first place than spend time and frustration(money) getting it right later.    Regards,  Ken  #219

Bryan Campbell <bcampbell at valp.net> wrote:
  Looking for recommendations on adding a dodger and bimini. Any ideas,
lessons learned etc. appreciated.
Cheers, Bryan