[C320-list] Bimini and Dodger Novel Idea

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 9 07:52:24 PST 2007

Dick, we can second your novel bimini.  We call it an "awning."  It was on the boat when we bought it and will be part of our new dodger purchase in '08.  We keep it up all the time in the heat of the summer to protect us from the Sun.  Never had a problem sailing with it or in weather.  Once I was concerned when docked broadside to the wind in a strong blow; but, it came through just fine.  I think it hard to envision how this awning is as good as a traditional framed dodger if you haven't experienced one.

Ours has wide industrial velcro on the underside of the three open sides to which can be attached side curtains of screen or sunbrella for that additional "on the hook" protection.  At the dodger interface, there are flaps that wrap around the ss hand-holds and another flap on top that attaches to double length twist lock shared with the dodger.  The only thing I will change is to add two outside hand-holds for use in entering and exiting the cockpit.

The one drawback is that since it is secured on the backstay, there isn't as much protection at the helm underway.  However, that hasn't bothered me much.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay