[C320-list] C320 Regatta 2008

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 12 17:27:51 PST 2007

My story and the others that followed should not, in any way, put anyone off from sailing destinations on the Chesapeake.  Annapolis is a "sailing" town, has a lot to offer the visitor both in boating history and early American history.  Our National Naval Academy is a must-do if you've never been there before.  The campus is usually open to visitors though I don't know the rules.  I think with advance notice you can get an guided tour.  It is not to be missed.  We are frequent visitors to Annapolis both by land and by water.  A couple of strange experiences should not be enough to put you off of Annapolis.

Almost without exception, all of the Bay marinas are happy to accommodate sailboaters.  Many offer transportation to restaurants, shops, etc.  They couldn't exist without us and mostly go out of their way to be nice.  Yes, in the busy ports on a summer week-end things can get nuts; but, they need to serve as many boaters as they can in fairness to all.

The market handles the demand.  Expect to pay in proportion to the popularity of the destination.  The busiest marinas on summer weekends will be $3/ft. or more, some with minimums.  St. Michaels, on a summer weekend is perhaps $3.25 with  a $75 minimum.  Yet, there is more than one way to skin the cat.  There is a back-door to St. Michaels from San Domingo Creek where you can anchor, dinghy into a park, and it's a short walk into town.  One can walk the entire St. Mikes area in a couple of hours unless you stop for ice cream on main street (must do,) or stop for lunch or dinner on the water at one of the several fine eateries.
Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay