[C320-list] Winterizing questions

T. Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sun Dec 16 09:43:17 PST 2007

The drain for the hot water heater is located on the starboard side of
the hot water heater itself under the galley sink.  It's very difficult
to access in any reasonable way unless you first remove the drawer
assembly from under the sink.  That's easy to do.  Just remove the
drawers themselves first, and then there are a few screws securing the
front of the wooden drawer frame assembly to the fiberglass.  Remove
these and the whole thing easily lifts out.  Be careful not to
overtighten when you replace.  Be sure to open the hot water tap to
break any vaccuum that will prevent water from draining.  I do not
believe it's possible to drain this completely.  I've found that if I
blow air into the tank through one of the hot water lines (using an air
compressor, with drain open first) I can get a lot more water out than
by simply draining it, but even then I don't think I'm getting
absolutely all of the water out.  When last I did this, it seemed to
sputter and spray samll amounts of water out as long as I was willing to
wait.

Some people fill the whole system with antifreeze instead (using the
pink, non-toxic kind).  My experience is that you need a good 12 gallons
to do this well, plus it's hard to purge completely from tanks and water
heater in the spring.  So I switched over to using compressed air to
empty the system instead last year, and have not had any regrets.

The head sump pump is located under the bathroom sink in most boats I
think.  In order to make it run you have to turn on the power at the 12v
main panel AND activate the switch in the head itself.  Many boats use
the same pump to drain the fridge sump, so you also have to put the
Y-valve that selects one vs. the other in the right position.  And you
have to make sure the through-hull for this is open so that the
water/antifreeze has somewhere to go.  The sump pumps also has a filter
that can clog or leak air (causing the pump to fail to prime).  So
that's something else to get familiar with too.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, 653