[C320-list] Winterizing questions

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 17 09:35:57 PST 2007

Doug, Check the list archives for winterizing tips.  Search the archives for "hot water" or "water heater."  Actually, it's a cold water heater (:>).  Mine is an early 1994, and yours may have changes esp. as regards the shower sump pump.  On mine, the pump is under the head sink enclosure and is reachable from the aft cabin.  Remove the drawers for easier access although, in this case, "easier" is only a matter of degree.  If you are 150lbs or less, you may find it easier than standing on you head.  If over, I suggest you entice a smaller friend or family member that for you to attempt this would not be in anyone's interest.  The pump is mounted on a box on the hull to which is attached a hose from the drain.  Be sure to check first for good electrical connections.  Mine only works when the water pressure pump is on.

On the face of the water heater are two connections (cold in, hot out,) one drain, and one pressure relief valve.  I am currently installing a bypass for the device to simplify winterizing and reduce chance of leaks.  What I've done is to direct the drain into a bucket then lift the handle on the pressure relief valve.  This should remove most of the water.  Then, using a wet/dry vacuum in "suck" mode attached to the drain and with the valve still open, let it pull out what it can.  I've removed another gallon or two this way.  Then, stick the hose from the pressure relief valve into a gallon of appropriate antifreeze and again using the vacuum, on the drain, pull the antifreeze into the heater tank (make sure all the faucets are closed and there is no open connection in the fresh water lines.)

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay