[C320-list] Raw Water Intake Thru-Hull

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Mon Dec 17 14:36:33 PST 2007

Mine (#809) has 2 thru-hulls right in line with each other next to the raw
water strainer.

The Aft one is currently hooked up as raw water intake and has no external
strainer.  The forward one has a clam-shell like strainer over it but is not
currently in use.  I suppose it could be used for AC, or an alternate engine
input if the main got clogged.

While an external screen could help keep some junk out of the intake, if it
does get clogged (and that's still very likely), you're really hosed since
you can't unplug it with a simple dowel without a lot of work.

I make sure that the intake hose is easy to remove from the thru-hull by
loosening the clamp and making sure it's not frozen in place each spring.

Then when I do have to undo a clog, I simply close the thru-hull, pull the
hose, wrap a cloth around the thru-hull, feed a length of wooden dowel into
the thru-hull, open it up, jam the dowel down to clear the clog and
reassemble.   The cloth will keep almost all the water out of the boat.
With an external cover, that wouldn't work anymore.

I've been thinking about how to use an bronze or Marelon Elbow (sweeping
arc, not tight 90) with a straight line cleanout so that I don't have to
remove the hose from the thru-hull to clear out a clog.  IF the right
solution presents itself, I'll go for it.. :)

-JeffH