[C320-list] Data IN ... Data OUT Garmin to AutoHelmST4000Plus

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sun Dec 23 11:54:03 PST 2007

Hi Bruce,

  I probably should have researched this first, but from memory and what
you've provided:

  Garmin uses a 4 wire cable.  Power +12, NMEA Data IN,  NMEA Data OUT,
GROUND (0v)

For this application, I believe you'll be using the GARMIN BROWN (Data Out),
and the Ground wire.
On the Raymarine end, I believe you'll connect:

Brown Data OUT wire from Garmin  --->  To Raymarine NMEA +
GROUND wire from Garmin cable    --->  To Raymarine NMEA -.

This effectively TRANSMITS NMEA Sentences From the Garmin to the ray marine
NMEA Listening port.

Since you don't need your GPS LISTENING to NMEA 1083 sentences from the
RayMarine autopilot (other sources), you won't use the White DATA IN line.

Does this make sense?

Also, when you set up your Autopilot, you need to be sure that it's
listening to NMEA 1083 as well as setting the Garmin transmitting mode to
NMEA 1083.
Usually the Garmin transmits using "GARMIN" protocol, so if you haven't
changed that, you'll need to.

I hope I got this right, but no harm will come if polarity is reversed here,
because they're only signal lines.

If you need longer runs, standard network cable CAT-5 used for computer
networks is just fine for this.

-Jeff

PS: I believe that you can drive up to 3 NMEA devices from the NMEA 1083
output of your Garmin.