[C320-list] Aqua Lift Muffler - Leak Location

Allan Field Allan.Field at comcast.net
Sun Dec 30 06:44:49 PST 2007

I found where the leak from the Aqua Lift muffler is coming from.  The box
is molded into a base that has 4 pre-drilled screw holes drilled into the
corners.  The box is screwed onto a base mounted to the hull.  The leak is
coming from the bottom of the box right next to one of the holes for a
screw.  It appears that when the box was fabricated and fiber glassed,
someone got a little careless at the corner and did not fare in very well
the glass.  The area around the leak is pitted and not smooth.

I am betting that the thing has been leaking since commissioning.  However,
with the condensate for the A/C draining into the area behind the
transmission and a non-dripless packing gland for the first several years, I
simply did not figure it out that all the water in the bilge was coming from
the muffler and not the A/C and packing gland.  But over time, my sense is
that the leak got bigger and when it was all anti-freeze in the bilge, then
I knew beyond a doubt it had to be the muffler.  But note that every time I
ran my hands around the seam where the box fares into its base, it was
always dry because it was leaking from below.

The root cause of the failure is speculation but until proven otherwise,
shoddy craftsmanship when the thing was fabricated and me not tracing the
leak back to its source much sooner (like before the motor mount brackets
rusted out) are what I believe occurred.

I also discovered another problem that I will post under a different subject
header - Hose Guard.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD