[C320-list] spinnaker - Tacker

Bruce Heyman BruceHeyman at cox.net
Wed Feb 7 09:11:24 PST 2007

During a race last summer we managed to sacrifice our ATN Tacker to Davie
Jones Locker.
The recent discussion reminded me to order a replacement, which I did last
week.  When it arrive I was amazed at how small it was.  I chose the one
that they recommended for up to a 33' boat.  While it might work I sent it
back for a swap to the next size larger.  Even that one we find that unless
you are really careful about the way you furl your 150s (tightly) it will
not easily adjust up and down from the tack line.

The reason we lost it is because when you are sailing really deep it has
been my experience that you are better off letting the Tacker go from the
head stay.  That way the sail moves around to windward getting out of the
shadow of the main.

If you do this make sure that you have the snatch block set so that it is
not easy for the taker to get caught up on the bow pulpit during a collapse
and refill.  Lots of force...little splash...

Bruce
Somerset 671 SoCal