[C320-list] Spinnaker Turning Block locations

Gary Doodlesack C320No410 at aol.com
Sat Feb 10 10:33:20 PST 2007

I have C320 No. 410 vintage 1997.  I fly an asymmetric chute rarely but when
I do It's either single-handed or with only two on-board.  Still fun and I
primarily fly the thing because it makes me feel good.

I've made a bridle for a snatch block by threading low-stretch cord around
the bases of the stern cleats and having the cord finish in a short loop up
above the cleat.  The loop is usually four thicknesses of cord and probably
has a total breaking strength of over 1200 lbs as configured.  I use Harken
ball-bearing snatch blocks but any good snatch blocks would work.  The
snatch blocks are just clipped into the loops on the cleats when needed and
a piece of shock cord is used from the top of the snatch blocks up to the
lifelines.  The shock cord keeps the snatch blocks aligned and keeps them
from banging on deck when not in use.

By wrapping the cord around both bases of the cleats and creating a forward
angled loop (aligned with the direction of future stress) I feel that the
loads are being well distributed over one of the stronger parts of the boat.

When the it's time to leave the boat I just unclip the snatch blocks and put
them safely away.

The alignment from the stern cleats to the spinnaker guy seems to be near
perfect for all points of sail I'd use my asymmetric on.  And when you fly
nearly 1000 sq ft shorthanded you really don't want any fouling or excessive
chafing, etc.

It's a cheap solution I'll admit but I'm not ashamed of it and I never
stubbed a toe on a snatch block or a pad eye.  I do think it's an obvious
better choice over the base of the stern rail.  The cleats are stronger and
further outboard.

Best of luck,

Gary Doodlesack
Lady Diane C320 410