[C320-list] Gate stanchion

Steve Magennis magenns at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 18:04:01 PST 2007

Unfortunately, someone T-boned me before a race.  He hit the gate
stanchion directly, and the lifelines kept the Erickson 36 from joining
my crew and me in the cockpit.  Unfortunately, stopping a 14,000 lb
boat moving at about 6 knots was a bit more than the lifelines were
happy with.  Of course, the hole that was punched in the hull at the
gate stanchion compromised that support.  The next stanchion forward
was bent inward to about 45 degrees, while the base of the bow pulpit
was broken off on the side of the hit.  The other side held, but the
pulpit was twisted back and the tubing bent and kinked.

Since the other guy was on port, his insurance company paid for the
repairs, so I was mot really interested in saving the cost of shipping.
 We have had large accessories shipped from the Catalina factory to the
dealer on a boat delivery, but such a timely coincidence wasn't
happening last Septamber when I finally got my replacement pulpit.

Fortunately, the Alchemist looks as good as she did before the
interface with the Erickson.

Steve
Alchemist #909