[C320-list] Frustrated with the Dutchman system

Peter Clancy SAILORPETE at msn.com
Mon Feb 19 10:07:41 PST 2007

We removed the Dutchman system from 'AROBAN' a year after we bought her. In theory it's a good system but we found it required constant fiddling and adjusting to operate smoothly. When racing with our mylar mainsail we experienced the battens catching or binding on the lines if they weren't adjusted just right in advance of the maneuver. However, cruisers who become completely familiar with all the nuances of adjusting, tensioning the lines, etc. will probably find the Dutchman system useful.

Peter Clancy
'AROBAN'  C320  #222
Miami, FL