[C320-list] Frustrated with the Dutchman system

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Mon Feb 19 09:09:38 PST 2007

Ken,
  Unlike a mainsheet where the number of blocks and forces involved can
actually 'burn' a twist into the line the topping lift shouldn't have
much, if any, twist. The only thing I can think of is since the black
boxes are clamped onto the line, the line must not have any twist -
anywhere - when they are secured. Because the 2 black boxes are forced
to line up any twist will be transmitted throughout the line. Just a
wild guess.
Stan
formerly "Christy Leigh'
c320 #656
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

>>> "K L" <sfca33 at hotmail.com> 2/19/2007 11:38 AM >>>
I spent about two hours yesterday trying, unsuccessfully,  to adjust my

Dutchman system so that there wasn’t any twist in the topping lift.
Last
year I even spent more time, I even took the whole thing apart and laid
it
out on the dock. My experience is that no matter what you do the
twisting
returns. This is very frustrating and makes me want to switch to lazy
jacks
which I had on a C 30.

My question is this: has anyone changed the block on the Dutchman to
one
that swivels? I keep looking at the twisted line and wondering why it
didn’t
come with a swivel block. Has anyone switched the block and found that
it
helped. Maybe it would just make things worse?

Thanks for your advice,
Ken Danko
Grace, #802

Want a degree but can't afford to quit? Top school degrees online - in
as
fast as 1 year
http://forms.nextag.com/goto.jsp?url=/serv/main/buyer/education.jsp?doSearch=n&tm=y&search=education_text_links_88_h288c&s=4079&p=5116