[C320-list] Broaching

Adam Weiner esquirecatering at rcn.com
Sat Jan 20 22:09:38 PST 2007

After the Broach article came out in the Mainsheet I received several
comments from this list (even from people in the SF Bay Area) that the
problem is that I sail at night and that at night you can't see the wind
coming.  I gave a defense to these people that broaches occur in the day
and that when people distant race the California coast, race to Hawaii,
etc. they don't take their chutes down at night.

For those of you with access to Latitude 38 you might want to look at
the picture on 164 of the January issue.  It is a great shot of a Merit
25 taken IN THE DAY and the photo is captioned "Shake, Rattle and Roll."
The boom is in the water, the rudder is out of the water, the spinnaker
has water in its belly and you can see in the Bay the ripples of where
it just was, and finally water is cascading into the cockpit.  The
caption mentions other broaches which were photographed and put in the
magazine over the years including far better sailors then me like Tom
Blackaller and Paul Cayard.  I guess I feel slightly redeemed.

Adam