[C320-list] Broaching

K L sfca33 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 21 15:01:12 PST 2007

I was one of those people who emailed. I didn't mean to suggest that there
was a "problem" with night sailing or with your sailing ability. I would
describe it more as a "characteristic" of night sailing that you can't spot
dramatic changes in wind speed on the surface of the water as easily as you
can during the day.

In the interest of full disclosure I should say that I have found myself in
the same situation as the people in the photo (not on my boat luckily).
Things happen. Before one sails into the slot during the summer one prepares
as best one can for the wind to blow like hell. But the best laid plans...

Ken Danko
#802 Grace
San Francisco

>From: "Adam Weiner" <esquirecatering at rcn.com>
>To: "'C320-List'" <c320-list at catalina320.com>
>CC: CraigEneboe at aol.com, straum_rpi at yahoo.com
>Subject: [C320-list] Broaching
>Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:09:38 -0800
>

>After the Broach article came out in the Mainsheet I received several
>comments from this list (even from people in the SF Bay Area) that the
>problem is that I sail at night and that at night you can't see the wind
>coming.  I gave a defense to these people that broaches occur in the day
>and that when people distant race the California coast, race to Hawaii,
>etc. they don't take their chutes down at night.
>
>For those of you with access to Latitude 38 you might want to look at
>the picture on 164 of the January issue.  It is a great shot of a Merit
>25 taken IN THE DAY and the photo is captioned "Shake, Rattle and Roll."
>The boom is in the water, the rudder is out of the water, the spinnaker
>has water in its belly and you can see in the Bay the ripples of where
>it just was, and finally water is cascading into the cockpit.  The
>caption mentions other broaches which were photographed and put in the
>magazine over the years including far better sailors then me like Tom
>Blackaller and Paul Cayard.  I guess I feel slightly redeemed.
>
>Adam

Live.com page.
http://www.live.com/?addTemplate=ValentinesDay&ocid=T001MSN30A0701