[C320-list] Wing keel draft

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 15:01:53 PST 2007

John,

If Chris's #867 has the 4'5" ish draft, then so should your #929 boat.  The sequence was short, deeper, short again.  And the manual definitely did not keep up with this change.  We asked GerryD about it at the 2004 regatta and he explained it.  He also indicated that the manual and the brochure didn't track the changes.

What happened was that original boats had a shallow bilge and a wing keel that gave them about 4'5"-ish draft.  Somewhere along the line, I think in the #500's, they made the bilge deeper. They didn't change the keel so the draft increased 6" or so.  A few years later, they switched wing keels to use the Catalina 310 keel.  That shortened the draft back into the 4'5"-ish range.  Gerry emphasized that the performance is unchanged across the keel switch.  The shorter 310 keel is supposed to provide the same righting moment.

 -Bill Culbertson
  Harmony  #859