[C320-list] Wing keel draft

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 16 12:03:51 PST 2007

We've had hard and soft groundings here on the Chesapeake.  Last one was when we motored at low speed into a mud flat.  She came off easily with a tow; but, could not budge her under own power.  I think that when the wing get onto mud, there is a suction effect in play making it doubly difficult to get off.  I think a kedge would have worked as well; but, we were with other boats and one pulled me off.  If you're hooked on rocks or really hard bottom, my opinion is wait for the tide and pray your are at high tide when you ground.  Kedging or towing in that situation may cause damage.

One thing to check when out of the water is to be sure your keel is deeper than your rudder.  It's good to know what to expect to hit first.

Also, when aground, if your rudder is on hard ground or rock, you can definately feel it.  The wheel will tend to turn as the boat moves.  You may even be able to feel the vibration up though the rudder into the hull.  In that event, I would definately NOT try to kedge or pull her off.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay