[C320-list] Anti Blister protection

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Wed Jan 17 14:00:42 PST 2007

Stephane,

Some years prior to your build date Catalina started using a layer of vinylester resin in the hull to prevent blisters. Like you, I have a 1998, and I don't have any blisters. None of the same era or newer Catalinas in the yard seem to have any problem with blistering.

It'll be interesting to see if we get a variety of opinions on this topic. Mine is that without a barrier coat you might get a few blisters, but they are easy to repair.

Around here we have to haul out annually, and if we find a few blisters we chip out the area, let it dry, and fill it. It would take much more effort and expense to apply a barrier coat or deal with a contractor who might or might not do a good job applying it. I've seen a few examples where a supposedly well-prepped hull had a barrier coat applied, and it did not adhere properly. I've also seen problems where supposedly compatible anti-fouling paint did not adhere to the barrier coat. Either case presents you with an expensive and time consuming mess. Finally, when you need to repair chips and scratches on your hull, and possibly some gelcoat crazing, the barrier coat is just one more layer that has to be removed.

JeffC