[C320-list] Engine noise

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 10:02:48 PDT 2007

I had my Hurth 50 rebuilt for less than $700 at a local Perkins authorized transmission shop (Annapolis, MD.)  With 1,000 hrs, it had a leak that was annoying to deal with.  They seem to have done a fine job on it including repainting the box.  They are American Marine Transmission in Mayo, MD; and, they are usually at the Annapolis Boat Show.

To their credit, Foley Transmissions suggested replacing the HB50 with an HB100 or ZF10.  They said that the HB50 is marginal for the application.  I was tempted; but, the additional cost and the cost of pulling and trimming the shaft was not appealing.  If I were to pull the shaft, I'd probably replace it with a SS shaft.

Another reason for not twiddling with the shaft is that the coupling is now perfectly aligned.  The error in my shaft alignment is only 1/1000 inch.  I don't like to fool with success.

Bottom line, for someone in the Annapolis area, I would recommend American Marine Transmission.  Shipping the thing wouldn't be simple.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay