[C320-list] motor mounts

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Fri Jul 27 08:53:53 PDT 2007

Your new propeller may be too far aft on the propeller shaft.  I was told by
my Autoprop dealer that the maximum distance from the front of the propeller
hub to the strut should be no more than 1.5 inches.  When I installed my
Autoprop, the installed distance was at 1.5 inches.  Your flex coupling
probably added one inch to this distance from the OEM propeller to the strut
and I assume the Gori is heavier than the OEM propeller you replaced which
may cause the shaft to wobble from possible extra weight farther aft on the
propeller shaft.  Unfortunately, you may have to do the measurement checking
on the tarmac.

Some folks talk about replacing the brass OEM propeller shaft with
stainless.  They say the latter has less flex.  I don't know.

When I installed my Autoprop propeller it seemed heavier than the OEM 3
blade propeller and I should have weighed both but
didn't.  One season and no increased vibration over the OEM propeller.  The
one spot on engine RPM where a little more vibration was present before the
new propeller was installed moved to a a slightly different RPM.

Check with Gori to see if the 1.5 inches is critical for their propeller and
if the over pitching problem can cause vibration which I doubt.

Bob Sloat
Savannah Hull #894