[C320-list] Shore Power Charger

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 05:59:50 PDT 2007

Our #62 came with a 50A New Mar 3-bank charger.  Now probably 10 yrs or more old, it still works just fine in spite of it being the older ferro-resonant transformer type.  The single draw-back is that it isn't true multi-stage.  It does vary the voltage and amperage as the battery charges but doesn't provide a float charge so the batteries are probably never "fully" charged.  Therefore, I only use it when I'm leaving the fridge on.  My newly upgraded engine charging system will finish off the charge when underway, so I have scrapped plans to replace the shore charger.

New Mar has new all electronic units recently reviewed in PS recieving a positive rating.  If I recall correctly, it was rated a good value.  However, not cheap.  As I recall, the 40A unit with battery temp sensor was about $600.

Charger size is a function of the size of the banks being charged and the type of use requirements.  See Calder's book for excellent discussion of charger sizing.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay