[C320-list] Sound Proofing

Charles Greenwell CGreenwell at sparusa.com
Thu Jun 7 07:33:50 PDT 2007

Yeah, they say that you do not need to use tape because the tiles are square and butt up nicely with each other.  But… after you install the tiles you will notice a few spots where this does not really occur.  For me, these were spots like the junctions between the top and the curved side walls.  While the product does a very good job at fitting these curves, the inside radius versus the outside radius of the curved tile did not fit up perfectly… not to mention, the corners were a little tough too.  Perhaps I could have done a better job but that is just the way it happened.

So, I bought a roll of tape and taped those spots.  I then got a little carried away and went ahead and taped all the seams.  I figured it wouldn’t hurt.  Then after I cut out the 4 inch diameter circular piece for the pulley clearance, I decided that I did not like the exposed foam in the engine compartment so I carefully and methodically taped over it.  Again, perhaps not necessary but this will prevent the foam from becoming saturated with something (antifreeze,oil,ect)  in case of an mechanical problem in the compartment.

I must caution you.  Layout your tiles and think about it before you remove the backing.  Once they are stuck on they do not come off very easily without making a mess.

As for the handles…I went to Home Depot and purchased a couple of brass handles.  I fitted them up before I installed the squares. On the rear cover I put one on the aft side about 4 inches from the top and one on the starboard side about 4 inches up from the bottom. On the forward cover I put one in the center about 4 inches below the top. I also removed the screws from the cover latches and drilled out the holes then replaced the screws with small machine screws with lock washer and nuts.

I hope this helps.

Randy

Checked by AVG Free Edition.