[C320-list] Raymarine RL70CRC and C-Map NT+ Chip Failure

Amirault Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 10 07:51:25 PDT 2007

Jeff et al:

With the C-MAP NT+ chip in place in the RL70CRC plotter I could move
about on world map imbedded in the plotter and perform the 'find ship'
function and it located my boat in Ottawa. Using the appropriate key to
zoom in should automatically cause the plotter to look to see if there
is any available chart information on the installed chips. The plotter
did not zoom below 150 NM.

When I changed the settings to put the plotter into plotter mode I can
zoom below 150 NM but only grey is displayed. The plotter mode is to
allow zooming closer than the level of detail available on the chart
being used. When not in plotter mode you CAN zoom below 150 NM if the
available chart has such information.

That I cannot go below 150 NM when not in plotter mode suggest the
detail on the available charts is 150 NM. If that is the case and
everything is working correctly I have been scammed by C-MAP, as that
level does not show the river I sail on. Everything I have read in the
manual suggests that the plotter is not recognizing that there is a
local chip installed.

When I wrote Raymarine about this on Friday the response was that if the
plotter boots with the Raymarine name, then the chip should work in the
hardware. If it boots with the Raytheon logo then the hardware is not at
a level where it can use the NT+ chips and I either have to replace the
chip with a local NT chip if C-MAP makes one, or send the unit to
Raymarine where they will perform a hardware upgrade to make it
compatible with the NT+ chips. The latter solution is an $800 US upgrade.

I am going to the boat now to do some work and will look into the
hardware version. The weird bit is that the plotter came with two chips
installed (neither for my area). One chip was NT and the other NT+. I
would contact the previous owner about this, but he is currently with
his spouse touring the UK by car with the proceeds from the sale of his
boat.

After looking at my post history I feel that in my defense I need to
state that I am not a whiner and I really do love Bear. I am merely
suffering from some new owner familiarization teething troubles.

Regards;

Brian Amirault
797 Waltzing Bear, too