[C320-list] Oil Leak

Jeffrey Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Jun 18 07:21:59 PDT 2007

Alan's right.  My boat #809 leaked from this spot also.  The "fan" belt goes
directly over this little cover.  I think it only has  or 3 screws on it
however.

The manual says it's for hand-cranking the engine, but with the belt
crossing directly over it, it wouldn't be possible.

Anyway, Remove this cover and if there's a little oil in there, it's likely
to be your culprit. The paper gasket wouldn't seal on my boat. I cleaned up
the surface and bought some oil/gas resistant liquid gasket material (looks
like thick black silicone goo) and put a bead around the gasket seat and put
the cover back on very loosely.  Then after it set up for a day, I snugged
it down lightly and it hasn't leaked since.

I talked with the yanmar guy at the show and he confirmed that the cover is
made of thin metal.  It was a little too flexible to didn't seal well with
gaskets.

-Jeff