[C320-list] Adding Electronics to Pedestal

Quentin Murphy qmurphy at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 16 12:28:22 PDT 2007

My boat, like most, have the one-inch pedestal guard.  The newer boats have
1 1/4-inch and the MK-II have the new pedestal.  The problem, especially for
us with the one-inch guard, is adding or upgrading electronics at the helm.
Presently I have the Raymarine Tri-Data, Wind and Auto-Helm at the helm and
the Raymarine "Multi" below.  My existing VHF radio is an older Raymarine.
I'm adding a Chart Plotter Standard Horizon CP170C and changing the radio
(Standard Horizon - Quest) so I can have a RAM Mike at the helm and DSC.
The radio itself will stay below. In addition, I'm thinking of installing a
stereo with a wired remote at the helm.  I would think this is a common
upgrade for many C-320 owners.  With NMEA, RAM Mike, GPS antennae and remote
stereo wires to pull through the pedestal guard, things start getting rather
tight.  I plan on doing all this at one time as the only way this could be
done is to remove all the wires and pull them back in with the added cables
all together.  Ideally, I would like to keep the Starboard side for 12-volt
power (two #14 gauge), Auto Helm to Motor and possibly shielded wires.  Then
the communications (data) wires can go in the Port side where they are less
likely to be interfered with from inductance from the power cables.

I plan on running the power cable from the breaker (2 #14 marine cable) to
the Auto Helm and then using the Sea Talk to power the rest of the Raymarine
devices and then back to the Raymarine "Multi" below and back to another
breaker (for redundancy).  I will power the GPS from the 12 volt supply #14
wire using an in-line fuse.  I'll also add a cigarette lighter socket to the
side of the Navpod using another in-line fuse.

As my boat is presently on its cradle a long way away, can anyone remember
if the Starboard side of the guard is relatively free, or if it is used
(lower down) for the wiring harness from the engine instrument panel
(trapezoid) to the engine?  I know there is another tube from this trapezoid
housing through the cockpit sole, but that might be for control mechanical
(throttle, kill handle) linkages only?  Any pointers from anyone on the
group who has gone through this would be appreciated before I get into this
project this spring.  I basically want to do this upgrade in one shot.

Quentin Murphy
Celtic Knot #667