[C320-list] Adding Electronics to Pedestal

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Fri Mar 16 14:02:54 PDT 2007

Quentin,

On my boat (1998 #545) all of the instrument wires are run thru the port side guard post and up into the NavPod. The engine-related wires and kill switch run thru the short post under the engine pod. Throttle, transmission, and steering cables run through the binnacle. The engine instrument pod attaches to the binnacle, not the binnacle guard posts.

The port side guard post is about as full as possible. I barely managed to stuff one additional SeaTalk cable through it when I added a rudder angle transducer. It took the better part of a day just to push the wire up thru the post and fish it thru the hole inside the NavPod. If you pulled all of the wires out of that post you could enlarge the hole inside the NavPod and that would make it a little easier to fish them out of the post, but you wouldn't get more than one additional wire thru that post. Hardly worth the effort.

I think your best bet will be to drill a new hole into the starboard post and run all the new wires through it. It'll take some careful measuring to correctly locate that hole.

I installed a 12 volt accessory cup on the side of the engine pod and tied into the ignition switch (with an in-line fuse) for power.

Good luck.

JeffC