[C320-list] FW: Prospective 320 buyer

Adam Weiner esquirecatering at rcn.com
Tue Mar 27 20:16:27 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Weiner [mailto:esquirecatering at rcn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:01 PM
To: 'catalina at thehares.com'
Cc: 'C320-List-bounces at catalina320.com'
Subject: RE: [C320-list] Prospective 320 buyer

Dear Jeff:

I guess it was kind of rude, and I apologize.  My point was that
everyone over analyzes, over worries, over talks, over everything but it
seems that very few people over sail the boat.

I do beg to differ with you.  When I bought the boat I didn't worry
about the electrical system, the engine system, the anything system.
That was the job of the surveyor.  What I worried about was how well she
sailed.  I talked with other 320 owners and what I found was that they
sat a dock a lot and didn't sail much so I insisted on an all day test
sail so that I could try the boat in all sorts of conditions.  It was
not the first 32 foot I took on a test sail, but it certainly was the
best one in terms of sailing performance.  That was the prime factor.
The secondary factor was that my wife loved the large fixed table (which
so many on this list hate) because the family could all sit around it.

No, I didn't worry about the systems.  I know that I am weird, but I
didn't really ask a lot of questions about the boat.  The question I had
was "How well does it sail?"  I was not trying to brag about the number
of sails and the mileage, I was trying to point out that it was a great
boat to sail and not one that you have to worry about before you use it
every week.

What I thought was unusual about this prospective 320 buyer was he
didn't say:  "I am thinking of buying a 320 and I live in the ______.
Could someone take me sailing?"

But, you were correct, I was rude to the potential buyer and for that I
apologize, and if he wants to go on an apology sail I am going out this
weekend.

Adam