[C320-list] Main Halyard Replacement

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Fri Mar 2 14:50:26 PST 2007

Frank,

Based on their manufacturer's claims, StaSet X has 3 times more stretch than your OEM halyards which were Yale UULS.

I bought Yale Vizzion a few years ago for my main halyard. It's a Vectran/Polypro blend. I don't see it sold very widely anymore, but another Vectran/Polypro blend is New England's VPC. Layline sells it. Still another blended rope is StaSet X+, but both X+ and X are very stiff and difficult to splice because they have a parallel rather than a braided core. I just looked and it seems that NE has dropped X+. It doesn't appear on their web site anymore. Maybe it was replaced by VPC.

If you are willing to spend a little more, try New England's V100 or Yale's Crystalyne. I just bought Crystalyne for my jib halyard, from APS. They had a 10% off sale in February. They might still honor the sale price if you don't wait too long.

JeffC