[C320-list] Main Halyard Replacement

Denny Browne dennybrowne at verizon.net
Wed Mar 7 22:01:59 PST 2007

I just replaced my main halyard with 10mm Spect-Set II, both jib halyards
with 5/16 Aracom T and both spinnaker halyards with 5/16 Maxibraid Plus. If
there's any left, West Marine had 5/16 and 3/8 Aracom T for .66 a foot,
about 70% off their regular competitive price. The 10mm Spect-set is a
little larger, but incredibly strong. As a backup, I bought some 1/4"
Vectrus and spliced it to replace the core of the UULS. It's the best
halyard I have, but I don't keep it on the boat because of the potential UV
damage, as the core is exposed for the first 40 feet or so.

These lines are all considerably stronger than the UULS and have
significantly less stretch. They're discontinued, but I expect them to last
5-10 years. Each of them, including the 10mm Spect-Set II, weighs
considerably less than UULS.

My research has led me to conclude that for main and genoa halyards, vectran
is best, followed by technora (aracom t), spectra (spect-set, maxibraid,
dyneema, amsteel) then polyester. Spectra is less desirable because of its
tendency to creep, or gradually stretch, under a constant load. It's fine
for spinnaker halyards.

Check West Marine's clearance pricing on line, you can save good money this
time of year. Layline (layline.com) has excellent write-ups on the different
kinds of materials. Their prices are very competitive, but not with WM's
closeout pricing.

Denny Browne
A Cappella
Redondo Beach