[C320-list] Excessive Rudder Spacing

David Gleason djgleason1 at juno.com
Wed Mar 7 15:05:01 PST 2007

Kevin:

I think there is some confusion here.  The rudder shaft does not have a
seal to prevent water from entering the rudder tube.  The spacers are not
involved in keeping water out.  The rudder tube is a water tight tube
fiber glassed into the boat.  I suspect the rudder is hollow, or filled
with a foam material that causes it to float up against the hull.  The
spacers are there to prevent it from coming in contact with the hull as
you mention.  There is no reason to change the number of spacers.

Dave Gleason
Proud Mary, #150