[C320-list] Yanmar 3GM30F

Richard A. Walker dickwalker at att.net
Mon Mar 12 17:23:51 PDT 2007

Use the Yanmar filter

Cheers,

Dick and Jauhree Walker
740 Olive Ave.
Coronado, CA 92118-2136
619.435.8986

-----Original Message-----
From: c320-list-bounces at catalina320.com
[mailto:c320-list-bounces at catalina320.com] On Behalf Of mike hunter
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 4:27 PM
To: C320-List
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Yanmar 3GM30F

Thank you, I’m very happy to be here :^)

  Thanks also to you and Bert for the excellent info!

  This sounds like a snap – 1.suck out the old oil and remove the old filter
(the plastic bag trick is a great tip); 2.spin on a dry filter (I’ll smear
some oil on the 0-ring); 3.dump in a couple quarts; 4.fire it up for a few
minutes and then shut it down; 5.re-check the dipstick; 6.add oil until the
oil level is between the lower and upper marks, right?

  I actually went to PacWest last Saturday but they were closed, so I went
up the street to another diesel shop.  It was there that the guy said to go
with SAE 40.  This seemed odd since there was a half full quart of Chevron
DELO 15-40 on the boat when I bought it (I assumed it was left over from the
last oil change).

  I was also sold a Yanmar filter, which is shorter than the one (blue in
color, no name) that is currently on it.  The guy said this is what Yanmar
is going with now.  Do you use Yanmar filters; and if so, does this sound
right?

  I’m really glad this c320 list exists!!!

  Thank you!!!

  Mike

"Richard A. Walker" <dickwalker at att.net> wrote:
  Welcome to San Diego.......

I would also annually change both the primary and secondary fuel filters at
the same time. Clean the RAW water filter. In San Diego that means
removing the eel grass. Also check the impeller, change every 3 years. You
can get the Yanmar stuff at PACKWEST Marine, 2390 Shelter Island Dr.
619-222-0475

I checked the answers below with Elias Garcia the manager who some of you
meet at the Regatta.

See below

Cheers,

Dick Walker
C-320 (687) WindWalker II
740 Olive Ave.
Coronado, CA 92118-2136
619.435.8986

I'll be doing an oil change on my 3GM30F soon and I have questions for the
Yanmar gurus out there.

- What grade of oil do you recommend for the San Diego area - SAE 40?
[Richard A. Walker] Make sure you get the oil specifically for diesel
engines. SAE 15-40 or SAE 30. 40 is too thick

- How many quarts does it hold?
[Richard A. Walker]
About 3. I put in 2 then check the dip stick. It is easer to use the oil
with screw cap tops.
(On the new 3YN series it is almost 4 QTS)

- Is it possible to pre-fill the filter a little even though it’s
horizontally mounted?
[Richard A. Walker]
No needed.. FYI I put a baggie over the old filter when it is removed this
keeps from spilling the oil for the most part.

- For the first time starting it after the oil change, is it necessary to
crank the motor with the kill switch pulled to circulate the oil and fill
the filter before actually starting it.
[Richard A. Walker]
No.
- How often should the oil be changed?

[Richard A. Walker] I do it annually which means less than 100 hours.
WindWalker II has about 585 engine hours and it is 7.5 years old.

I've read it's necessary to drain the 'aqua lift' exhaust if the motor is
cranked for more than 30 seconds without starting. Where is this valve
located?
[Richard A. Walker]
There is a small valve on the side of the aqua lift muffler. It is located
under the rear bunk. I have never had to do this.