[C320-list] Boat Yard Blues

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Tue Mar 13 17:44:12 PDT 2007

PJ, (?)

Regarding the engine hours: It really doesn't seem likely that they let the engine run for 40 hours, but the math might work. I use about 1/2 gallon per hour underway at maybe 2500 rpm. If you double or triple that at idle your 9 gallons would get you anywhere from 32  to 60 hours. As far as damage is concerned, idling for long periods of time can cause carbon to build up on your combustion chamber, valves, injectors and exhaust elbow. Oil pressure at idle is a bit low, so that could cause some internal wear. Probably not fatal.

Regarding Larsen: I've been in Waukegan for 5 years. I stored my boat at Larsen's for only one season, so you can guess how satisfied I was. Few of the boaters in our harbor would consider them one of the better yards in the area nor would anyone be surprised at the problems you have had with them. They are big, and they are expensive.

I stored the boat at Northern Marine for 4 of the past 5 years and have had excellent service there. The only downside I have found is that the subcontractor that does their fiberglass repairs is not the best. Northern reorganized last fall. One partner bought out the other and renamed the company Waukegan Boat Services. I'd expect their service to continue as in the past, and hopefully they will bring the fiberglass work in-house. You'll probably want to consider WBS next year. Another advantage with storing there is that SailPlace operates their brokerage out of WBS's yard. The guys at SailPlace are extremely knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to any issue related to Catalinas.

Good luck.

JeffC