[C320-list] Adding Electronics to Pedestal

Quentin Murphy qmurphy at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 18 11:11:03 PDT 2007

Jeff, Alan & Dave:

Thanks for all the tips on pulling cables through the pedestal guard.  There
is good and not-so-good news here.  Seems like the Starboard side is free
except for the cable from the Auto Helm control to the Auto Helm motor.  The
90-degree bend in that wire will definitely pose a problem as will having to
make an opening at the bottom of this tube through the cockpit sole.  Now I
also know why I could not budge a cable last year on the Port side as it is
filled with some compound at the bottom.

This is definitely a weekend project.

On the Radio DSC connection to the Chart Plotter (both "Standard Horizon"
which I have already purchased), I understand I will need 3 wires in between
(NMEA Common, NMEA Out, NMEA In) and two wires between the Chart Plotter and
the Auto Helm control (NMEA Common & NMEA Auto Helm).  Is there any
advantage of connecting the Chart Plotter to the "Wind" and/or "Multi"
instruments?

To start this project I plan to remove all the cables and remove caulking,
make or enlarge holes as required and I plan to use wire markers and use
lots of wire-pulling lube.

So in the Port side tube I plan to pull the following cables: Flux Gate (5
wire), Rudder Ref (for future) (4 wire), Depth (3 wire), Speed (5 wire),
Wind Speed (2 wire), Wind Vane (5 wire), NMEA to Radio (3 wire), Sea Talk
back to "Multi" (3 wire).

In the Starboard tube: Auto Helm Motor (2 wire with this lovely 90-degree
bend), 12-Volt Power (14/2), GPS Antenna (SMA small coax), RAM Mic (8 wire)
Stereo Remote keypad (if there is still room).  I'm going to see if I can
modify something to ease this 90-degree bend. I plan of removing any larger
connectors and soldering them back on after the pull (with a small 20-Watt
iron).

Is there anything I missed that need to be pulled in either of these tubes
other than Radar which I'm going to skip?

Like I've seen in many of the your replies: "I only want to do this project
once".

Thanks,
Quentin Murphy
Celtic Knot #667