[C320-list] Maine marinas?

Dave Sparks dlsparks at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 09:05:24 PDT 2007

Bob:
   I've either taken my boat or chartered in Maine 13 times and have a two
week charter again this year.
I have reports of some of these trips on the web at
http://www.dbsparks.com/reports.htm
   I don't have much experience in Casco Bay and haven't been to Belfast in
several years. When I was last there, there weren't many options, and I was
picking up a charter boat on a mooring. The current can be very strong here
and at the moorings, you are surrounded by other boats and don't have much
room to maneuver - unless it has changed a lot since I was last there.
   For stops between Casco Bay and Belfast, I like the Boothbay Harbor area,
Tenants Harbor, Rockland, and Camden for places with fuel and provisions.
Look at week 2 of the Maine 2000 report for more information about these
areas.
   A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast by Hank and Jan Taft is one of the
best cruising guides I've ever used. I highly recommend getting a copy
before you go.
   I have lots of information about sailing in the area between Boothbay
Harbor and further "downeast", including hundreds of waypoints and scores of
routes, if you are interested.
   Do you have radar? Fog can be a serious issue.

    Dave Sparks

--
David Sparks
dlsparks at gmail.com