[C320-list] Fuel Gauges

mike hunter popotladreaming at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 12:50:13 PDT 2007

How many of you have operational fuel gauges?  I have owned 2 Catalina’s and neither of them have had gauges that work.  I have heard this is common for all boats.  The manual states fuel consumption at ½ gallon per hour at 2800 RPMs, I’m rarely up this high, so I figure it is safe to go 40 hours on the 20-gallon tank.  I guess what I’m really asking is – is it worth replacing the sending unit, gauge, etc., if it’s going to only last a short while; or should I just continue to guestimate?

  While I’m sort of on the subject of RPMs, my boat has a “sweet spot” at around 2000 RPMs, which pushes it along at around 4.5 knots.  When it gets above that, I feel a small vibration at my feet.  How much vibration is normal?

  I also have to share my joy with the results of McLube Sailkote.  Before Sailkote it would take everything I had to get the main sail ¾ up the mast and the last ¼ was tough even with the winch.  Now I can pull it all the way to the top without straining.  I also applied it to the shift lever and throttle lever shafts at the pedestal and talk about smooth.  Awesome product!!!

  Thanks!

  Mike