[C320-list] ULSD #2

BAdams3491 at aol.com BAdams3491 at aol.com
Fri May 11 14:39:11 PDT 2007

Here is Sail Magazine's response to my question regarding their
recommendation that we put 'something' in the diesel fuel to make up for the  loss of
lubricity of the new ULSD.

"If your experts tell you  that all is well then maybe all will be well in
your world.

However you  might want to check with your Yanmar dealer to get his/her take
on the matter.  Also go to some websites, Chevron has a pretty good one as I
recall. Valvtect  Marine also has some interesting observations although they
are in the business  of selling a product.

Also check the Westerbeke site"

I was expecting a more technical  answer...the who, what, when, where and why
of an additive.

Here's what I've found  out:
-  Valvtec says to  add a lubricant...big surprise, they sell the stuff.
-  Chevron says not to add  anything, they add all the lubricant necessary.
-  Yanmar says it 'should  not be a problem' although a Cetane booster might
help...whatever that  means.
-  Have not checked  Westerbeke.

Bert
At Ease